Logrotate RFE (2)

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Mar 4 16:36:23 UTC 2004

"Doncho N. Gunchev" <mr700 at globalnet.bg> writes:

> On Thursday 04 March 2004 16:27, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> > Are we really sure this is such a good idea?  I don't see any real
>> > advantage over the old way.  And I'm probably not the only one who has
>> > home-made tools that depend on the current naming system.
>> >
>> > Seems like adding the date stamp is only dubbling the info already
>> > available in long ls output.
>>
>> I'm also a little skeptical if this is a good feature. And not just
>> because I would have to hack my beautiful rotation-handling routines in
>> epylog. :)
>
>     This can be solved easily with symlinks I think, right?

How much easier are symlinks than doing nothing?  Or than using sort
with the right flags etc.

>     I see at least 3:
> 	- you get better idea when the logfile was last used

If you are using find and `newer' or similar it won't help a bit.

> 	- can be sorted easily (instead of log.1 log.10 log.11 log.2
> 	...)

sort has enough flags to handle that with no problem... no extra
symlinking or the like required.

> 	- rsync/whatever will save a lot of traffic.

Can you explain this one... Not sure I understand how rsync does more
or less work either way.