Eina - gtk2 replacement for xmms

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 29 18:19:36 UTC 2004

On 11/29/2004 02:32:30 AM, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> If they were really serious about their efforts to set a foot into
> the
> world of free software, they'd make plugins (which don't even have to
> be
> GPL'ed, mind you!) available to play Realmedia content using
> GStreamer.
> I've even offered to write those plugins for them, for free (see the
> GNOME d-d-l archives)! The whole GNOME and KDE desktop would suddenly
> play realmedia files.

Yes - that would be nice.
I'm hoping for the day (it doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon)
when Apple releases a fairplay plugin for GStreamer so that I don't
have to jump through hoops to play iTMS songs in Linux.

I like the iTMS music store, I'm not a huge customer, but I've spent
about $200 there since the Windows launch, and I would buy more if I
could play the songs in Linux (the OS I use 95+% of the time) without
needing a burn/re-rip.

I'm hoping for the day when divx.com releases a plugin that lets me
play rented divx movies in Totem - already the GStreamer plugin for
divx is quite good, The HD divx movie trailers play smoother for me in
totem than they do on the same hardware in Windows. That may be more
likely to happen, divx seems at least somewhat friendly to linux, with
free periodic releases of their library including header files needed
for developers.