One update too far - help - OK fixed

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Thu Sep 2 05:53:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:39:33 +0300 Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:34:27PM -0500, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
>> Maybe, maybe not.  My first attempt was to boot into the Windows XP
>> partition and download an older RPM there.  When I rebooted back into
>> Linux I found that I couldn't mount the Windows (FAT32) partition
>> because modprobe kept segfaulting.  A *LOT* of functionality in the
>> Fedora/Redhat kernels is in modules.  I'm not even sure that you could
>> mount a CDROM or a floppy.
>insmod still should work btw., just use that :-)
>
>--
>Pekka Pietikainen

I looked for an older version of mod tools, but only the last broken
version was in the /var/cache/yum/development area.

But, insmod did the trick.

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-1.538smp/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.ko

and then, to bring up the network

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up

It is up.

I looked for the .2 version of mod tools on fedora.redhat.com and all I
could find in rpm form was the .1 broken version.

I think I will wait for tomorrow when the good stuff trickles into the
download area.

Thanks much

BobG