"Stateless Linux" project

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Sep 13 18:42:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

Red Hat engineering is starting a new project we're calling
"stateless Linux" for lack of a better name - some components of this
are already in Rawhide, and others will be appearing shortly.

We've been keeping the project a little bit quiet at first, but now
we've written it up in some detail:

 - an overview document, available from
   http://people.redhat.com/~hp/stateless/

 - a HOWTO document and a couple associated RPMs, available from
   http://people.redhat.com/dmalcolm/stateless/

There aren't many new RPMs for this, because stateless Linux isn't a
single codebase or package, it's a set of changes across the
distribution (you might think of it as a "philosophy"). Most of the
changes are already in Rawhide (the highlights are mentioned in the
StatelessLinux.pdf document).

Appreciate feedback, especially from anyone who has time to try out
the HOWTO. We expect the code to change quite a bit as issues and
suggestions come in.

Havoc