priorities and dependencies for network interfaces

Bryan Clark bclark at redhat.com
Sat Feb 12 23:53:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 14:02 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
>Problem:
>I've a laptop with a wired network interface (eth0) and a wireless
>network interface (eth1). Both interfaces are configured for DHCP. The
>wireless interface can connect to any SSID.
>If i boot up the laptop without a network cable plugged in, the wireless
>card will find an access point, get an address and all is good.
>If i boot up the laptop with a network cable plugged in, it will get an
>address and a default route from the wired network, but then it will do
>the same with the wireless network! Often, this will result in unusable
>network configuration (static route clashes, etc.)
>
>Wish:
>I wish my laptop would stop activating any other interface once the
>wired network card is on.

Have you tried NetworkManager, it will do just what you're asking for.

	yum install NetworkManager NetworkManager-gnome

You might want to enable the rawhide repository so you get the latest.
NetworkManager works in KDE as well since it runs out of the
notification area.

check it out: http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/

Cheers,
~ Bryan