Security Question

Scott Becker scottb at bxwa.com
Mon Feb 14 18:57:03 UTC 2005

I started with the default apache user and ran the following commands:

#bring up apache account-
mkdir /home/apache
cp /etc/skel/.* /home/apache
chown -R apache: /home/apache
usermod -d /home/apache apache
usermod -s /bin/bash apache

This way I can access it with a simple 'su apache' command ran as root
and there's a home directory to store the .psql_history file so the
command history is saved across sessions. I fear that by setting the
shell with 'usermod -s /bin/bash apache' I've opened a can of worms. I
just set a password on the account to prevent any more logins but if
there's a security hole it would be nice to fix it and if not I would
like to know how they logged in and understand the process. I tried
(just before setting the password) to login hitting enter for the
password and I couldn't get in.

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

>And login with empty passwords can be disabled by removing nullok from
>/etc/pam.d/system-auth.

I found nullok twice in the file. Perhaps I couldn't get in on my test
because PuTTY doesn't pass null. I guess I shall always set a password
from now on.

    thanks all
    scottb