Security Question

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 12:54:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 10:57 -0800, Scott Becker wrote:
> I started with the default apache user and ran the following commands:
>
> #bring up apache account-
> mkdir /home/apache
> cp /etc/skel/.* /home/apache
> chown -R apache: /home/apache
> usermod -d /home/apache apache
> usermod -s /bin/bash apache
>
> This way I can access it with a simple 'su apache' command ran as root
> and there's a home directory to store the .psql_history file so the
> command history is saved across sessions. I fear that by setting the
> shell with 'usermod -s /bin/bash apache' I've opened a can of worms. I
> just set a password on the account to prevent any more logins but if
> there's a security hole it would be nice to fix it and if not I would
> like to know how they logged in and understand the process. I tried
> (just before setting the password) to login hitting enter for the
> password and I couldn't get in.
> I found nullok twice in the file. Perhaps I couldn't get in on my test
> because PuTTY doesn't pass null. I guess I shall always set a password
> from now on.

What does 'getent shadow apache' gives you if you call it from root
account?
If it's something like:
apache:!!:xxxxx::::::
       ^^ note these. If the exclamation marks are missing it means that
this account is without a password and nullok allows to login to it. But
if the !! (or *) is there it means something is broken on your system if
it allowed login to that account. Can you find the messages from
the /var/log/ surrounding the 'apache logged in from
dsl-82-199-133-138.dutchdsl.nl (82.199.133.138)' message?

--
Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com>