FC4 slimfast slimfest

Joshua Eichorn josh at bluga.net
Mon Feb 21 20:54:20 UTC 2005

Elliot Lee wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Here's a heads up that we need to get rid of about 300M of packages to
>make sure that FC4 continues to fit on 4 CD's. Right now eclipse, xfce,
>xemacs, cfengine, and all the games are leading candidates. We also may
>try to start removing stuff from Core in hopes that it will appear in
>Extras if someone cares about it.
>
>Nothing is set in stone, but if you want to write in favor of keeping
>something, you'll have to suggest something else of equal or greater size
>to axe instead.
>
>You can view the list of new packages since FC3 (sorted by package size)
>at http://people.redhat.com/sopwith/new-packages.txt
>
>FYI,
>-- Elliot

It would be a shame to lose gnome-games, every computer needs easy
access to solitaire.

How about dropping some of the random documentation rpms we keep around,
they don't follow a pattern anyway (ie we have exim-doc but no
postfix-doc, we have python-doc but no php-doc or perl-doc)

exim-doc 3.2m
python-docs 2.4m
python-twisted-docs 6.4m
postgresql-docs 4.6m
(there are a couple more)

Or even better drop tetex-doc 51M (im pretty sure the php manual package
got dropped long before it got that big)

-josh