FC4 slimfast slimfest

Gérard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Mon Feb 21 21:04:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 13:54 -0700, Joshua Eichorn wrote:
> Elliot Lee wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Here's a heads up that we need to get rid of about 300M of packages to
> >make sure that FC4 continues to fit on 4 CD's. Right now eclipse, xfce,
> >xemacs, cfengine, and all the games are leading candidates. We also may
> >try to start removing stuff from Core in hopes that it will appear in
> >Extras if someone cares about it.

Why limit FC4 to 4 CD's? Is it out fear that someone will cry "bloat"?
If packages were properly distributed among the CD's, one didn't need to
download all images. I admit I am a bit biased since I use XEmacs
regularly. I you list I see many java-related packages. Why not bundle
them into a separate CD? Another option would be to retain 4 images and
create additional images with extras.
--
Gérard Milmeister
Langackerstrasse 49