FC4 slimfast slimfest

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:18:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:57:11 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> And you get the huge
> advantage that you would know apriori what CDs you need: no need to
> download, burn, verify the images you don't care about. I think it would
> end up saving time for many folks.

i highly doubt that.... for upgrades... its going to be a HUGE time
suck trying to avoid downloading optional cds.

Sure you might install fc6 just using the cds you need.. .but then you
used yum and installed a game or two... and a little java.. and then a
few -devel packages because you wanted to compile something up from
srpm.   3 months later.... yer ready to install fc7.. have fun writing
the comparative scripts to figure out which 'optional' cds you now
need to download.  Unless some in-distro tools are created to help
work it out for you.. its going to be a huge frelling mess for a large
class of users who want to upgrade from release to release.

-jef