FC4 slimfast slimfest

Tyler Larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Tue Feb 22 17:44:56 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:57:11 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>>And you get the huge
>>advantage that you would know apriori what CDs you need: no need to
>>download, burn, verify the images you don't care about. I think it would
>>end up saving time for many folks.
>

> i highly doubt that.... for upgrades... its going to be a HUGE time
> suck trying to avoid downloading optional cds.
>
> Sure you might install fc6 just using the cds you need.. .but then you
> used yum and installed a game or two... and a little java.. and then a
> few -devel packages because you wanted to compile something up from
> srpm.   3 months later.... yer ready to install fc7.. have fun writing
> the comparative scripts to figure out which 'optional' cds you now
> need to download.  Unless some in-distro tools are created to help
> work it out for you.. its going to be a huge frelling mess for a large
> class of users who want to upgrade from release to release.
>
> -jef

What it sounds like Alan is suggesting is taking Havoc's "profiles"  (there
may be 10 to 20 of them) and using them a guide to determine which packages go
on which of the 4 or 5 install CDs. This way, perhaps each CD will be less
full, but at least some people won't have to download all of them.
Furthermore, the CDs will (should) be marked to show which profiles they
fulfill. Something like "CD #3: print server, file server, mail server".

In this scenario, very little actually changes. We maybe add a CD or two, but
hopefully gain a little better organization of the packages in the process.

People who are upgrading can download the CD's they think they'll need based
on what software they have installed. If they want to play it safe, they can
download all the CDs before they begin. This isn't at all different than what
they do already.