FC4 slimfast slimfest

Tyler Larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Tue Feb 22 17:52:14 UTC 2005

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:01:29PM -0700, Tyler Larson wrote:
>
>>Brilliant idea. Solves all our problems, but creates a set of new one.
>>Like, for example, what will the ISOs look like?
>

> CD #1 	Download only this CD for a base install and use yum to add packages
> CD #2,#3,#4  (for now) Fedora Core packages. Download for updates/installs
> 			via CD/DVD
>
> Java CD	Optional   Download for java packages
> Games CD Optional  Download for extra games
>
> etc..

This still sounds like most people will download all (or almost all) of the
CDs in order to install the packages they want.

However, I really like the idea of installing a base OS from just one CD and
installing the rest of the system using yum or up2date. After all, most users
will have to update the majority of the packages they've just installed
immediately after their first boot.