FC4 slimfast slimfest

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 18:53:36 UTC 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Tim Daly wrote:
>> An alternative approach is to adopt the Knoppix compressed file system.
>> Knoppix manages to get about 2.3Gig on a single CD.

> The .rpm packages are already compressed, so a compressed file system
> won't help here. Thanks for thinking outside the box, though!

Talking of compressing stuff...  Couldn't we perhaps compress the
hdlist and hdlist2 files in Fedora/base?  Could we perhaps merge the
contents of hdstg2.img and netstg2.img that, given their similar size,
might be assumed to contain mostly the same contents?  And how about
stage2.img, if that's a superset?  This certainly wouldn't get us the
300MB we need, but it could get us 5-15% of that.