FC4 slimfast slimfest

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 19:03:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 15:53 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>Talking of compressing stuff...  Couldn't we perhaps compress the
>hdlist and hdlist2 files in Fedora/base?

Only if we increase the memory requirements to do an install

>Could we perhaps merge the
>contents of hdstg2.img and netstg2.img that, given their similar size,
>might be assumed to contain mostly the same contents?

There are chunks that are the same, but the kernel modules are
different.  If all of the kernel modules move into the initrd (probably
going to happen, although this does increase the memory requirements in
general), then these can merge.

>And how about
>stage2.img, if that's a superset?  This certainly wouldn't get us the
>300MB we need, but it could get us 5-15% of that.

It's a superset, but it's not really merge-able with the other images
without major filesystem work.

Jeremy