FC4 slimfast slimfest

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 21:13:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:20:21AM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:01:29PM -0700, Tyler Larson wrote:
> > Brilliant idea. Solves all our problems, but creates a set of new one.
> > Like, for example, what will the ISOs look like?
>
> CD #1 	Download only this CD for a base install and use yum to add packages
> CD #2,#3,#4  (for now) Fedora Core packages. Download for updates/installs
> 			via CD/DVD
>
> Java CD	Optional   Download for java packages
> Games CD Optional  Download for extra games

  Some people argued that mirror maintainers would complain about the
extra space needed, from that angle I don't care too much about 500
extra MB (on the other hand if you could reduce the debuginfo packaging
size in *some* ways !!!), but I do care about my bandwidth, and I prefer
users picking the 3 ISO they really need instead of downloading the
4 ISO blindly because it is not identified clearly what will be needed.
So from a mirror POV clearly labelled data chunks are better than
one glob a bit smaller than the sum to me.

  From a distro user I also think clearly labelled ISO lead to less
confusion and also nobody should face
    "Installation will need CD1 CD2 CD3 CD4"
         "Okay"               "Reboot"
and have to reboot/download/burn/restart because they forgot CD4,
if CD4 is not available it should be marked as such somewhere
and admin tools should suggest later on to insert the missing CDs
if needed or download the packages. I'm not saying it is easy
but it's the polish needed to try to get more desktop users IMHO.

Daniel