FC4 slimfast slimfest

Tyler Larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Tue Feb 22 21:51:00 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:13:11 -0500, Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>  From a distro user I also think clearly labelled ISO lead to less
>>confusion and also nobody should face
>>    "Installation will need CD1 CD2 CD3 CD4"
>>         "Okay"               "Reboot"
>

> Clearly labeled? what does that mean exactly?  The only way to be sure
> you have the cds you need.. is to know exactly what is on each cd...
> package by package.  You aren't going to break out things with easily
> digestable labels in such a way that makes sense to everyone.

Mandrake had (has?) a mechanism where, at the beginning of the installation,
you'd tell the installer which CDs you have. The installer would then disable
the package selections that weren't available with the selected CD set.

I think such a solution would be good enough for most users, even with
relatively vague labels on each CD. For the uber-curious, a listing of the
RPMS directory posted on some server would be fine.

The "OK, Reboot" solution is not really a solution at all. If you only have 3
CDs, the last thing you want to do is play "find the offending package",
spending 20 minutes creating a package selection, partition scheme, and system
setup; then find out that you still need CD4, and lather, reboot, repeat.