FC4 slimfast slimfest

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 22:29:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:51:00 -0700, Tyler Larson
<fedora-devel at tlarson.com> wrote:

> I think such a solution would be good enough for most users, even with
> relatively vague labels on each CD. For the uber-curious, a listing of the
> RPMS directory posted on some server would be fine.

There are 2 different but related problems.
1) Making sure users have the disks they need for what they want.
2) Making sure the installer doesn't let users try to install items
don't have the disks for. (assuming of course a non-networked install)

The solution you propose addresses problem 2.  Whether or not its good
enough for 'most' users is an open question. This solution supposes
that the default package selection isn't good enough for most users.
If most users are customizing the package selection at install time, i
would argue they do so with specific items in mind and not finding
what they are looking for would be as frustrating as being told to get
extra cds. I think you would have to make absolutely clear that
certain packages aren't available at install time because they do not
have the full media set, so the user knows the missing crap can be
installed later after firstboot from media or from the network. Even
then.. solving problem 1.. prevents this all together.

-jef