Exim as default MTA.

Wed Feb 23 19:15:07 UTC 2005

Le mercredi 23 février 2005 à 10:54 +0000, David Woodhouse a écrit :
>On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 19:18 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>Ok, I consider myself a "newbie" when it comes to MTAs.
>>
>>I currently run sendmail, but I've done as little as possible to get it
>>working.  I have no spam filtering at SMTP, no auto-sorting of messages
>>into folders, basically nothing more than "get the mail to the spool".
>
>Sounds like you're a reasonably good test candidate; thanks for
>volunteeering.
>
>>So I'll bite and look at the latest exim package in FC3 (I am running a
>>server, so I can't really use rawhide).  I'd be glad to report how it
>>goes if anyone is interested.
>
>If you have time, please could you also try the same with postfix? And
>if your own setup isn't very interesting, pick some other tasks like
>configuring mailman etc. to amuse yourself.
>
>Like I said -- I'm far more adamant that sendmail should go, than I am
>that Exim should be its replacement. I just happen to think that Exim is
>a better choice.

Right. I think most postfix users are not rabid exim haters either (at
least I'm not). It seems both postfix and exim are good choices without
any of the big warts that make people hate sendmail.

IMHO it'd be a shame to drop postfix - it has spent quite a long time as
a sendmail alternative in powertools then RHL and FC waiting for RH
management to realise sendmail should die. I think the only reason the
postfix crowd is silent right now people can't even imagine RH relenting
on sendmail, while exim users still have some hope left.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot