reducing distribution CD count

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Thu Feb 24 17:21:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Matthias Saou wrote:

> - Exim was removed... it's tiny, and was in FC3, so that's
>   probably a bad idea.
> - Xfce was removed... this leaves FC with no lightweight desktop
>   manager, and it was in FC3 AFAIR, so again...

Packages aren't being removed because they're not useful. Nobody is
disputing that exim is useful to people or that xfce is a good thing for
some users.

The question is not whether it's useful, it's whether it's an essential to
the goal of Fedora Core as the "Core", as a general purpose OS.

The package removals so far are just a start. We're not there yet. There's
still plenty more to move from Core to Extras (or just drop altogether).
The advantage for you is that moving things from Core to Extras gives you
more control over the package. It becomes a lot easier for you to
contribute more directly as a packager.

The disadvantage is that people somehow see moving from Core to Extras as
an insult against their package, which couldn't be farther from the
intention.

> - Both tuxracer and bzflag were removed, but many people (Havoc,
>   Alan) definitely want at least one good 3D game to "show off".

It can be showed off without being included in Core.

-- Elliot