Package pruning for FC4 and beyond

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 15:04:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:24:40 -0500, Eric Warnke <eric at snowmoon.com> wrote:
> freeglut - library with no dependancy in core
Cough in the developmnent tree....libtiff
rpm -q --requires libtiff
libglut.so.3
rpm -q --whatprovides libglut.so.3
freeglut-2.2.0-14

how are you checking for deps?  the libtiff deps isnt somthing
obscure.. its required by gtk2.
I just want to make sure you aren't wasting your time using a depcheck
method thats going to  be highly unreliable. Are you looking at the
deps in fc3  or in rawhide? I'm not sure looking at the dep chains in
fc3 gives an accurate picture for the sake of this discussion.

> dasher - obscure alternate input method ! 10MB
uhm... thats almost an offensive comment... a11y elements are very
important... just be glad you don't need them.

> Possible without objections
> Guppi
used by gnucash.... how are you checking for deps? Even in fc3 this is
a requirement.
rawhide:
libguppi.so.16 is needed by (installed) gnucash-1.8.11-1.i386
libguppitank.so.16 is needed by (installed) gnucash-1.8.11-1.i386
fc3:
libguppi.so.16 is needed by (installed) gnucash-1.8.9-2.i386
libguppitank.so.16 is needed by (installed) gnucash-1.8.9-2.i386

> ccs - cluster config?
if you don't understand the function perhaps its best not to list as
being removable.

> freeradius - complex package d:0
how is complexity a reason to drop it?
apache is pretty complex as well.
either make the duplication argument or make the argument that its
unneeded in core.

> h2ps - another postscript generator D:0
Are you saying that other cli postscript generators can convert Hangul
and thus overlap in functionality?

-jef