Package pruning for FC4 and beyond - COMPLETE LIST

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Feb 26 17:30:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 12:24 -0500, Eric Warnke wrote:
>fsh - obscure shell, features absorbed into OpenSSH

Some scripts will use this but relatively few. This is one of the cases
where the FC3 package doesn't actually work on FC4, though -- it'll
break in an upgrade.

I'd like to see it die in FC5 -- OpenSSH needs to completely provide the
same functionality first though. OpenSSH doesn't yet have the capacity
to automatically decide whether to be the 'master' and open the first
connection, or whether to be the 'slave' and use an existing connection.
Neither does it hold the connection open with a timeout. Not hard to fix
-- but since fsh is only 161KiB, it hasn't been a huge priority.

We don't gain much by dropping it, but I'd like to say in the release
notes that it's deprecated, so that we can drop it from FC5. Although by
FC5 we can just move it into Extras without too much upgrade pain
anyway.

--
dwmw2