Package pruning for FC4 and beyond - COMPLETE LIST

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Feb 27 11:23:57 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 12:24 -0500, Eric Warnke wrote:
> Please post feedback.  All objections noted.

> Xaw3d - required by emacs and emacs is being kept

libXaw should not be removed. It is one fundamental libs in X11, many
(older, however still useful) applications are based on.

> Ojections, but I still believe could be moved.
>
> *freeglut - library with no dependancy in core.  libtiff requirement can
> be corrected.  I am working on a patch or updated spec file.*
Basis for many GL applications. Should be shipped in parallel to
libGL/Mesa/X11 and should be regarded integral part of X11.

> joe - yet another text editor ( nano / pico / emacs / ed / vi )
Not just "yet another text editor". It's the only Wordstar compatible
ASCI-editor in Fedora (WordStar has dominated the editor market in the
late 1980/90's, generations of users have grown up with it.) Removing it
from FC means a severe loss of functionally to this generation of users.

Ralf