Intel Pro Wireless cards

Eric Warnke eric at snowmoon.com
Mon Feb 28 17:09:47 UTC 2005

After reviewing the archives of the various lists I have found no
discussion on the topic of wireless driver inclusion in FC.

I have checked with LICENSE and FAQ for the intel driver and firmware
and was wondering if it could be included in core.  Without those driver
it makes most centrino based laptops useless without special handling.

Specifically since I know people will ask, the problem must lie in the
firmware since the driver is GPL.  The firmware is under a commercial
licence that allows redistribution as long as a small number of
conditions are met.  Distributed by rpm and installed the only condition
that needs to be met is that the LICENCE file needs to be installed with
the firmware.

http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=1

"*Your rights to redistribute the Software shall be contingent upon your
installation of this Agreement in its entirety in the same directory as
the Software.*"

So, is this a non-starter, or can this be accomodated by FC?  I know
this would be a bog help to the laptop users out there.  At least if we
can get the driver support in core so that each kernel release does not
break laptop support I would be most grateful.

Cheers,
Eric