I want more CDs in the distribution

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at rogers.com
Mon Feb 28 23:48:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:49:19 +0100 (CET), you wrote:

>Yet another alternative:
>
>Postpone FC4 until both Anaconda repo support and Fedora Extras are ready,
>and let FC3 evolve more controlled over the stretched period. Preparing
>FC4 will result in spending less resources in Anaconda and Fedora Extras.

I am beginning to think this is the best idea.

Delay Fedora Core 4 for 6 months.

This hopefully gives  time to get Anaconda and all the other relevant
bits set up to allow for a distribution that is made up of 2 parts
(Core and Extras).  Prehaps even rename them to better reflect that
they are of equal value.

It also gives more time to allow the things people are aiming to try
and include (gcc 4, java, openoffice.org 2) to get ready as well as
get people and mirrors used to Extras.

Spend some of the time trying to get those sofware projects that do
package their stuff for Fedora to put their packages into Extras, thus
helping to give legitimacy to Extras in the eyes of those who
currently feel that stuff in Extras are second class citizens.

So in the fall release Fedora 4 with everything working so that there
are no negative feelings/reviews/stories about broken upgrades because
Extras isn't supported yet.