Fedora non-standard build environment (%_host etc.)

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 15:14:14 UTC 2005

Jos Vos wrote:

>On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:57:16PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>

>>>FC3 is shipped with /etc/pango/i386-redhat-linux-gnu.  I know
>>>this be done with "--define '_host i386-redhat-linux-gnu', but
>>>is this what RH actually does in their build environment and,
>>>if yes, are there more non-standard rpm settings used?
>>>

>>Does installing redhat-rpm-config affect the build results?
>>

>That package is installed.  This also applies to RHEL3 and RHEL4b2.
>
>In fact, pango could better use %_target i.s.o. %_host, as %_target
>*is* indenpendent of the specific build host, but the question is
>why %_host is evaluated this way in the RH builds.

THe issue with pango is perhaps subtle.

In a multilib environment, pango was one of about 6 or so packages that
had to change because of path collisions.

The fix was to create a per-platform directory.

How that directory is named, and how the path is determined, have nothing
whatsoever to do with the original problem that needed to be solved, i.e.
changing the path so that components were not clobbered in a multilib
environment.

For example, the paths
    /etc/pango/ringo
    /etc/pango/john