FC4 slimfast slimfest

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Feb 21 22:25:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 05:22:00PM -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> I would like to see at least a minimal free Java toolchain/environment in
> Fedora.  This is a slippery slope that leads to language-ism, IMHO.  Why
> stop with Java?  Let's put all python stuff in its own repository as well.

The java stuff is new, its huge and its the easiest to push out for now

> > Not only that but a java repository set has a natural focus and since
> > most of it is in java it can run asynchronously to the OS updates too
>
> Except for the natively-compiled stuff.  Plus, I believe Sopwith said this
> kind of 3rd party repository isn't possible ATM.

Then how are we proposing to do Fedora extras ? It is definitely possible.
A Java themed disk may be trickier as a part of base.

If we can't do it then in my opinion its even more critical we keep the current
stuff and java should go into fedora extras or Fedora 5 when the tools are
fixed.

I'd much rather see a Java yum repository and a non-install time java .iso
(which is easy to do as a standalone)