Reopen a request for gpgme in Core

cs at zip.com.au cs at zip.com.au
Tue Jan 11 22:29:03 UTC 2005

On 12:04 08 Jan 2005, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
| On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 15:27 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > in this way _no_ mail reader needs extending because each remote service is
| > apparently a local ordinary service. [...]
| > I find it extremely convenient.
|
| It's a cute hack, but it doesn't seem to be as convenient as the way
| that Evolution, pine and mutt do it for me transparently. Especially as
| the mail servers I use tend not to have an IMAP d??mon listening at all,
| and as it still doesn't perform the authentication for you in the way
| that using SSH directly does -- your IMAP client would still need to
| store a password.

Sure, or get me to type it, but on the other hand the place I most do
IMAP to doesn't give file-level access to the mail spool files. So I
can't "ssh in and run an IMAP _daemon_", so a real IMAP connection is
still required, so a password is _still_ required because ssh will only
get you as far as the shell server.

I don't just do IMAP this way. I do pop this way too, and point fetchmail
at "zip.local" for that, too. And IRC. And you can generally get at any
service this way. If you're routinely inside a firewall that doesn't
allow much out but does allow ssh, you're in business and your tools
don't need to know anything special.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

And besides, we've already discussed the proper way to pick up a bike, at
great length.  You start by buying it a drink.
        - Joe McConnell <josephm at sojourn.com>