fc5 goals

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Nov 29 18:16:06 UTC 2005

Le mardi 29 novembre 2005 à 09:37 -0200, Pedro Lamarão a écrit :

> This may even be true in the country you live in, but let's keep things
> under control for those of us with computers "too old" to have DVD
> burners running a Fedora-based desktop just fine.

The problem is not what systems have DVD burners now.
The problem is what systems won't have DVD burners by the time the
single-CD FC ISO goal is achieved.

Based on the current progress rate DVD readers won't even exist anymore
when this is done. So this effort strikes me as rather moot.

Better get network installs working flawlessly, break stupid dependency
links and forget about the CD iso part altogether. Systems without DVD
support will certainly have network access to DVD-enabled servers sooner
than FC manages to shave even one ISO. The only thing we seem to manage
is to slow down the growth, which is a good thing but won't ever solve
the media distribution bit.

OTOH most books/magazines/LUGS would be happier with network CD and/or
FC dvd instead of 4+ CDs like now.

But that's only my opinion.

--
Nicolas Mailhot