no provider for XFree86-devel dependency

Patrick Mansfield patmans at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 3 16:31:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:42:01PM +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 15:04 -0800, Patrick Mansfield wrote:

> > I guess the workaround is to install with "rpm --nodeps ...".
>
> Ah, how about instead of working around this, you wait until the deps
> have been satisfied.

OK :-/

> I think it's worth saying that we are about to see some humongous
> changes with the introduction of the module xorg into rawhide (of which
> these issues are a part) but that, with a little patient a simple 'yum
> update' should just work.
>
> While an 'rpm --nodeps' might _solve_ the problem in the short term, it
> might also create bigger problems in the long term, making more work for
> the developers to figure out because someone forced something to 'make
> it work'.
>
> Sorry if this is too harsh, but the use of rawhide needs a little
> patience sometimes which include putting up with broken deps, broken
> packages and other stuff.  What rawhide doesn't need to 'artificial'
> breakage that adds another layer of complexity to and already complex
> task.

No problem at all, thanks for the information.

I did not think about later breakage it might cause. I'm new to FC devel,
and don't fully understand the development process used (i.e. seems that
it is expected for things like this be broken over multiple days), and I
also don't know future plans.

-- Patrick Mansfield