status of up2date and rhn-applet

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Nov 29 07:58:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:57:48AM +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> WR> Maybe I shouldn't care, but I do. As an example, with all due
> WR> respect to its creator, the atrpms repository holds both packages
> WR> I want (unique functionality) and that I don't want (core
> WR> replacements). Unfortunately that means I can never do a blind
> WR> cross-the-board upgrade from all the sources I've identified.
>
> It would be very nice if one of the update utilities could be set to
> ignore updates across repositories. I.e. if I've installed foo from
> core and bar from atrpms and atrpms has newer versions of both foo and
> bar, only bar gets updated.

Maybe it's better to avoid atrpms at all then, as its bar will
probably assume that you are using foo from the same source? Perhaps
foo in core is being replaced just to add the functionality that bar
needs?

It isn't as black or white as it seems. I've had enough bug reports on
using apt and smart with priorities/weights to strongly advise against
their use (not apt/smart's, but their weighing mechanisms).

And if you don't trust repo X to replace package Y, then why trust it
to offer package Z? Better drop repo X, if you feel uncomfortable.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net