php 5 Selection Question Verses php 4

Konstantin Ryabitsev mricon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:27:24 UTC 2005

2005/9/28, Greg Morgan <drkludge at cox.net>:
> Would anyone be able to give me the background on the selection of php5
> as the php language on FC 4?

At the time of FC4 release, PHP5 was the latest stable version.

> What I am finding is that there are still
> many php applications that do not work well on php5 yet.  ISPs that
> upgrade their web systems find that all their customer's sites go down.

Then they should test things before upgrading, eh? I mean, PHP is
*notoriously* bad at breaking code between versions without any
warning -- hell, I've seen apps stop working between minor revisions
of PHP. Here, you have a huge jump from 4 to 5, with developers widely
cautioning everyone that things will, likely, break because of so many
underlying changes. Any ISPs blindly upgrading their versions of PHP
are... well, not very good at what they do, to put it mildly.

Besides, Fedora Core is not what I would call a well-considered choice
for a web server with lots of paying customers. The paradigm of Fedora
is -- "you get the latest and the greatest," which is great if you're
a geek who likes to tweak things, and not so great if you have other
things to consider.

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev