Collecting and fixing pet peeve bugs

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Fri Aug 4 23:06:52 UTC 2006

My pet peeve is the lack of a text input area in the standard file
requestor.

All I want to do is to paste a file path from a shell window to get an
attachment added
to a mail item.    Navigating the graphical file requestor to the file
is incredibly
painful over a slow X-remote session.

I think I reported this as a bug once, and response was that there is a
control-key sequence that will pop up a textbox file requestor, but this
has two
serious problems:
    - The graphical requestor doesn't remind you what the magical key
sequence is.
    - Popping up yet-another window on a slow X-remote session just
aggravates the problem.

If the curent wisdon is that text input of filenames will confuse the
target Fedora user,
then don't make it default.  Just provide me with a configuration option
so that I get
a text input area in all my file-requestors.

John