rawhide report: 20061201 changes

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl
Fri Dec 1 15:53:42 UTC 2006

Dnia 01-12-2006, pią o godzinie 05:54 -0500, buildsys at redhat.com
napisał(a):
> ncurses-5.5-26.20060715.fc7
> ---------------------------
> * Thu Nov 30 2006 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar at redhat.com>
> 5.5-26.20060715
> - move also hardlinked entries (#217750)
> - search /etc/terminfo for local terminfo entries

On thread about switching from libtermcap to ncurses was about
libncurses size vis libtermcap. Why not enable --with-termlib in
ncurses. After this only libtermlib[w] can sit in /{_lib} and all other
shared libraries can be installed in %{_libdir} because all applications
which now uses termcap API can be linked with only libtermlib.

Second: now ncurses package contains shared libncurses and libncursesw.
Why not all link all against libncursesw ? It will allow drop libncurses
(or move to compat-ncurses). It will allow make main package ~two time
smaller.
If you are interested I can send you all my ncursesw patches (all tested
and used more than half year on production; most of changes requires
only fixes on autoconf leel).

[kloczek at kloczek01 SOURCES]$ ls -1 *ncursesw*.patch
bc-ncursesw.patch
cscope-ncursesw.patch
epic-ncursesw.patch
gdb-ncursesw.patch
hexedit-ncursesw.patch
joe-ncursesw.patch
krb5-ncursesw.patch
lftp-ncursesw.patch
mtr-ncursesw.patch
mysql-ncursesw.patch
OpenIPMI-ncursesw.patch
parted-ncursesw.patch
pinfo-ncursesw.patch
psmisc-ncursesw.patch
readline-use_libncursesw.patch
screen-ncursesw.patch
statserial-ncursesw.patch
tcsh-ncursesw.patch
telnet-ncursesw.patch
texinfo-ncursesw.patch
vte-ncursesw.patch
xterm-ncursesw.patch

(don't talk me about fill 22 separated entries in Fedora BTS).
Most of this patches can be easy extended for use libtermlib[w].

> tcsh-6.14-13
> ------------
> * Thu Nov 30 2006 Miloslav Trmac <mitr at redhat.com> - 6.14-13
> - Link to ncurses instead of libtermcap
> - Fix some rpmlint warnings

Current ncurses patch changes:

-AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, termlib termcap curses ncurses)
+AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, ncurses)

Why not:

-AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, termlib termcap curses ncurses)
+AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, ncursesw ncurses termlib termcap curses)

or even better (after build ncurses with --with-termlib):

-AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, termlib termcap curses ncurses)
+AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, termlibw ncursesw termlib ncurses termcap
curses)

??

Probably last form of this fix can be submited to tcsh maintainer for
include in dist source tree.
Please prepare fixes using mind not hands ;>

kloczek