edit root alias when installing the OS

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 00:50:50 UTC 2006

On 1/9/06, Paul A Houle <ph18 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> [snipp
>     Perhaps things have gotten better in rawhide,  but the "firewall
> configuration" gimmick in RHEL is a classic example of "uselessware".
> Pretty much every system I run needs to have a few ports punched in the
> firewall that aren't in the list -- the firewall configuration gimmick
> never remembers the ports that I've already opened,  so I have to keep a
> list of the ports that I've opened somewhere (or maybe look at the conf
> file I'm not supposed to change) and enter them all in by hand.  It's an
> example of "for the want of a nail...  the kingdom was lost" that often
> kills GUI apps.

If you are talking about system-config-securitylevel, that is just now true.

    The basic issue is that a GUI firewall editor has to support 100% of
> the functionality I need or coexist with my ability to edit conf files
> by hand,  or it's 100% useless.

Useless to you. A God sent by to most who haven't read through the Iptables
HOWTO.

A GUI app that does 90% of what I need
> isn't enough if there is no workaround to get the other 10%.

> >>    To make GUIs work,  Unix would have to give up on
> >> human-comprehensible configuration files.  (Yes,  that means XML.)
> >
> > Many of them have indeed adopted XML but this is not the one true path
> > by any means.
> >

>     I'm not against XML,  I'm just saying that XML files don't count as
> human-comprehensible and editable.  Something that's basically a
> database is another option,  but again,  other than (arguably)
> relational databases,  those aren't human-comprehensible and editable...
>
>     You may not really be able to have it the GUI way and the "Unix way"
> -- that doesn't mean that everyone has to stick to the Unix way.  My
> complaint about GUI gadgets (particularly the one in RHEL/Fedora) is
> that they "almost work" and never "really work" because of a mismatch
> between the data structures and the UI model.  One way to get a correct
> application is to make the data structures fit the UI model.  There are
> problems with that,  but it's possible to make tools that really work
> that way.

You seem to be very unluck with GUIs. When ever I use a system-config-* is
because it does the job easier and faster than  using vi.