New artwork!

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 23 21:00:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:54:03 -0500
Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> wrote:

> Linux is only one component of the whole system, so it is as absurd to
> call it "Fedora Linux" as it would be to call it "Fedora Xorg" or
> "Fedora GNOME".  A very large percentage of software in Fedora is
> GPL-licensed, so maybe "Fedora GNU" would be appropriate...
>
> /me prepares to put on asbestos suit

The underlying OS affects the character of everything that runs above it
including your examples of Xorg and GNOME.   As mentioned, the people who
create a port of it to another OS will surely want to have a name that
highlights the new underlying OS anyway.

Frankly, I don't mind just calling it "Fedora" but disagree that the
posibility of a future port to another OS is an acceptable argument
for excluding Linux from the name.

Sean