New /etc/services for testing available

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 19:54:19 UTC 2006

Hi folks.

I'd like to get some feedback on a hugely updated /etc/services i've
done today.

It basically merges the old /etc/services with almost all current
official IANA services.

I've tried to make sure the file is sane and in order, but due to the
huge amount of new services i'd like to give it some selected exposure
and feedback before i think about putting it into our setup package.

The file can be downloaded from here:

http://people.redhat.com/pknirsch/services

Just dump it as a replacement in /etc (maybe making a copy of the old
/etc/services first, but shouldn't be necessary as the first part of the
file is identical to our old one).

I'd especially like to get some feedback from people using it on network
servers or monitoring machines where apps like nmap, tcpdump and
ethereral are run. My main interest is if any errors pop up and if
anyone gets performance problems (because for worst case scenarios it
can now take up to 15 times as long for getservbyname() to complete).

Thanks in advance,

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111