libtrash in fedora Core 5

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 18:27:53 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus at tmus.dk> wrote:
> Bernhard Suttner wrote:
> > Helo fedora people,
> >
> > I had a big problem yesterday. I have deleted some important files on a
> > ext3 filesystem. As you know, with ext3 you can not undelete files (I
> > have tested undelete, recover, unrm, grep, e2undel and many more).
> >
> > So I have searched for a "solution" to the "delete" problem, and I have found
> > libtrash. If you have installed libtrash, all files you delete go into a directory "trash". If you are sure, you can delete the file really.
> >
> > Would it be possible to add libtrash to the Fedora Core 5?
> >
> > Greets,
> > Bernhard Suttner
> >

> This sounds badly like a "we need linux to behave like windows"
> initiative, which IMHO is not the way we want to go!
>
> All the provided desktop managers (GNOME, KDE) have this feature. Making
> a trashcan for everything would really be a bad idea!

I realized recently is that instead of changing the behavior of the rm
command and unlink, we need a new command, trash.  The 'trash' command
would work just like 'rm' but would send the file to the trash instead
of unlinking it.  Then people and scripts could use the new command
instead of rm when they want the ability to get their files back.

 - Ian