Unmounting CD/DVD Drives on FC5 NOW Tips n tricks

David david.jamison1 at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 17 07:02:21 UTC 2006

Callum Lerwick wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 15:14 +0100, Joe Desbonnet wrote:
>

>>As far as I'm concerned if the eject button is depressed the thing
>>should come out no matter what the consequence (unless explicitly
>>locked of course).   It's rather embarrassing to be bragging to
>>friends and coworkers about stability of Linux only to have to reboot
>>the machine when they ask for their CD-ROM back in a hurry :)
>>

>su -c "eject /dev/cdrom"

I tend to agree with this sentiment! Ive got caught a few times showing
people my linux box and have forgotten to kick the disc out and have
been bashing away at the drive button going what the heck is up with this!

Another "basic" question!

Is there an active database of  queries which would contain the command
line comands such as su -c "eject /dev/cdrom" which are highly useful
but instantly forgettable for those that are not power users?  In fact
would it be possible to connect to such a database though help with a
How do I...... type of question?

Cheers

David