Help! fc2->fc5

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri May 5 21:07:46 UTC 2006

On Friday, May 05, 2006 1:18 PM -0600 "Lamont R. Peterson"
<lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:

> The key thing is you can go FC2 -> FC4 or newer.  Only from 1 version to
> the  next.  So, you have to update FC2 -> FC3, then FC3 -> FC4, then
> (finally) FC4  -> FC5.

One reason I didn't update to FC4 was because of how rocky its introduction
was. It took a few kernel updates before it stabilized. Instead, I've been
hand-updating selected packages from Rawhide SRPM's. But satisfying the
dependencies gets harder and harder over time as more things depend on
major foundational packages that have changed over time, like udev and
selinux. Mailman, for instance, ended up having tendrils going into
packages I didn't want to update without a full system upgrade.