Sun JRE or JDK to enter core, or at least extras?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed May 17 21:48:03 UTC 2006

Once upon a time, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> said:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 22:48 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> > any comments on
> > http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2006-05/sunflash.20060516.4.xml ?
> > I understand this as an indicator, that the Sun JDK and JRE should now
> > be distributable via Fedora Core or Extras? If so, I would very much
> > like to see this.
>
> This pretty much kills it:
>
> 2c. ``you do not combine, configure or distribute the Software to run in
> conjunction with any additional software that implements the same or
> similar functionality or APIs as the Software''

The DLJ FAQ also has these interesting statements:

  - Distribute the entire JDK - no subsetting. Note - the README file
    has the specifics of what you must distribute, and what can be
    omitted.

Fedora couldn't split it up into sub-packages unless they all depended
on each other (all or nothing).

  - Use the JDK only to design, develop, test, and run Java programs on
    your OS - you may not use it or parts of it for other purposes.

"your OS" - can I install Fedora with a JDK and develop Java programs
for Windows?

  - Present for acceptance any end user licenses that are part of the
    JDK, if such licenses are included in the generic install bundle
    provided to you for repackaging.

Click-through license required - not acceptable, especially during
install (how would an automated kickstart even do this?).

  - Indemnify Sun against claims arising from your OS or your violation
    of the DLJ (or any applicable law) Note that you are not responsible
    for changes made to your OS distribution by downstream users or
    distributors when such changes are out of your control.

I don't think Fedora is going to indemnify anyone.

  - Ship only a compatible JDK on your OS. If notified of an
    incompatibility, you must correct it and offer a patch or
    replacement to downstream recipients within 90 days, or stop
    shipment and notify downstream recipients.

If Sun notifies Fedora of an incompatibility in a release after that
release is end-of-life, Fedora still has to release an update or
withdraw Java for that release (since Fedora Legacy is currently run by
others it may not qualify).

> Looking on the JPackage list, they are not interested in it either - and
> seem to be quite surprised at the Sun claim that they were "working with
> JPackage" in their FAQ. The word "lie" seemed to come up more than once.

The only reference to jpackage I see is "We are looking forward to
collaborating with jpackage.org ...".  I don't see anything that says
they already were working with them.

This is all aside from the fact that Fedora is about Open Source
software (which Sun's JDK/JRE are still not).  Even if that changed, the
above problems would appear to make it impossible to include it in
Fedora.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>