Future Fedora Development

David david.jamison1 at ntlworld.com
Sun May 21 07:13:52 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

Ive just joined this mailing list and I am in intending to get involved
with the testing effort within the Feodra project.  Just by way of
introduction I am based in Belfast Ireland and I work as a software
tester within a large software house working predominately on web-site
testing with a chunk of interoperability and linkage testing thrown in.

My question is probably way "off topic" but none the less I would be
interested in hearing peoples comments.

I tend to run older hardware because

1. Cost.
2. This older kit provides all the functionality I need at home as Im
not big into gaming or heavy multimedia or the like
3. An element of "save the earth".

There was an article in the paper yesterday that claims that MS Vista 's
full range of tools would be available to less than 5% of all PC's in
Britian (presumably this would extrapolate world wide) I was then
reading over the thread on PAE and Zen and it occured to me that perhaps
the same issue might rise with Fedora?

I do fully realise that and OS needs to keep abreast of hardware
developments but Im wondering if this has to be to the detriment of the
folks like me who tend to run behind the times.

Perhaps a solution would be to ask ANACONDA to identify hardware
resources available on a box and then provide a suggested build of
Fedora to be intstalled that will provide only the functionality the
hardware is capable of running sucessfully?

Cheers

David