A sole, standard proxy library for Fedora

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Sun May 28 10:57:16 UTC 2006

Cam wrote :

> How about having a lightweight proxy on every machine. All configuration
> should point to the local proxy.
>
> When the network changes, only the proxy need be informed of the changes.
>
> It's a horrible hack, I know :) but configuration in the environment
> isn't dynamic enough, and hell will freeze over before any new
> configuration scheme reaches the level of acceptance that http_proxy in
> env has.

This is exactly what NetworkManager does with a bind instance since
running applications wouldn't pick up DNS changes fast enough when
switching networks on the fly.

So although it does sound hackish... it's basically already been done
in order to overcome the same kind of limitation.

Did I just hear someone suggest integrating this in NetworkManager
along with an automatic proxy detection feature? Hmmm... :-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.89 (Rawhide) - Linux kernel 2.6.16-1.2218_FC6
Load : 0.39 0.46 0.55