Help! fc2->fc5

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri May 5 19:18:10 UTC 2006

On Friday 05 May 2006 01:06pm, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On Friday, May 05, 2006 8:42 AM -0600 "Lamont R. Peterson"
>
> <lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:
> > Also, don't do "yum upgrade", use anaconda, booting from a CD instead.
> > Using  "yum upgrade" there are 20 some odd "corner cases" and such that
> > are not  handled (things about the changes between FC4 -> FC5.  Anaconda
> > knows these  things and gets things right.
>
> How does one identify these 20 issues?

Examine source for Anaconda and/or ask Anaconda developers.

> I'd like to look them over on my FC2
> server before starting the upgrade process.

The key thing is you can go FC2 -> FC4 or newer.  Only from 1 version to the
next.  So, you have to update FC2 -> FC3, then FC3 -> FC4, then (finally) FC4
-> FC5.

Those "20" (or so) issues that I mentioned ... that's just what goes on from
FC4 -> FC5.  I don't know how many such oddities are handled by upgrades  to
FC3 and FC4, but there are some things.

Fedora releases are only tested for upgrading from one release to the next,
never from older releases.

> (I plan to clone the disk and
> upgrade the clone. Call me paranoid. ;))

I won't, I tell you!  You're not paranoid :) .  Actually, that's just being
smart.

> My practice is to copy the DVD ISO to the HD and then use askmethod to
> point the installer at the image on the HD. This has worked well for my
> desktop FC4 system. The only problem there was my very unusual grub setup
> (triple-booting WinXP, FC4 i386, and x86_64 from one FC4's /boot
> subdirectory). It took a little manual cleanup to get my grub setup working
> the way I wanted, after upgrading both partitions. And I haven't yet got
> the nVidia driver working. But I haven't looked at the latter problem very
> hard yet.

I usually do network installs/upgrades with a boot.iso or PXE booting.
Poe-taa-toe, poe-tah-toe.

Yeah, I usually just let Anaconda rewrite GRUB configuration from scratch when
I do an upgrade install, then fix it after the fact, if I need to (which is
almost never needed).
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor