Compiz not installed by default?

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 15:45:07 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:

> - Support for XV since watching video in non-XV mode is downright
> painfully slow and leads to totem crashing when resizing the window

This is per-driver integration work, and also requires poking pretty
much every video player to be aware of when the compositing manager is
running.

> - Support for non 3D accelerated setups (I assume this would involve
> better software fallbacks)

That's a nice dream world.  compiz is a GL-based compositing manager and
you are simply not going to get acceptable performance with it in
software for the same reason you can't play quake3 in software.

The only concession we might want to make for the composited desktop on
non-3d hardware is making 'xcompmgr -a' usable.  You won't get pretty
transition effects, but at least it'll hide all the redrawing.

- ajax