NVIDIA dkms srpms

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sat Oct 7 02:15:10 UTC 2006

Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 13:36 -0400, Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
> > I've used DKMS for ecryptfs, unionfs, qvm86, and a few other drivers,
> > and it is no hassle at all.  Recent versions even have mkrpm and mkkmp
> > (Kernel Module Package) commands.
>
> It's also been working great for me [for years] for ov518 webcam
> support. You have no idea how nice it is to compile some wacky -mm
> kernel, fire it up, and have all your hardware working without having to
> manually do this yourself.
>
> I've just spent the better half of this afternoon adding ipw3945 support
> into a fedora kernel. Bear in mind that it uses the git version of
> ieee80211, and that it doesn't compile in 2.6.18 and you get the idea.
> But it works :-)

Wrong. You need two tiny changes to get 1.1.0 to work:

- Force the API version to 2 (the logic in the Makefile gets confused by
  the old version string in the kernel's header)
- Delete the inclusion of the deleted config.h in the .h file

[...]

> Then there's the binary stuff, and the microcode but I would have to
> look at the licences of those in detail.

The firmware can't be redistributed. But it is not a part of the driver
anyway.