Install nothing people

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Wed Jan 10 23:12:57 UTC 2007

2:33pm David Lutterkort said:

> > DB> Was it just last week that we had the 'install everything' people
> > DB> here? Now we have the 'install nothing' people. ;-)
> >
> > Did anyone call?
> >
> > I'm just hoping that there'll be a minimal spin or premade kickstart
> > file or something. All I need is enough to run yum -- or at least rpm
> > -i http://..../yum-... (So basic ethernet IPv4 networking and rpm)
>
> I am looking at reducing the minimal install (@core + @base) for the
> Fedora Server spin, but that shouldn't stop anybody from posting their
> suggestions and experiences reducing the install.

Here's a good starting point for fc6 kick.

%packages
- at dial-up
- at java

I can't remember exactly, but the installed footprint gets significantly
smaller. If you can live without the above.

Beyond that, it's a matter of style/opinion. Here's just some example
hunklets:

# irrelevant hardware
-ccid
-coolkey.i386
-coolkey.x86_64
-bluez-libs
-bluez-pin
-bluez-utils
-irda-utils
-pcmciautils
# the Xeons in this ProLiant don't know a damn thing about low power
-cpuspeed

# unwanted services
-NetworkManager
-gpm.i386
-gpm.x86_64
-nfs-utils
-portmap
-yp-tools
-ypbind

# useless things that drag in other deps
-firstboot-tui
-system-config-network-tui
-system-config-securitylevel-tui

It goes on and on...and I've successfully removed upon install *all* i386
packages on an x86_64 system without screwing up the rpm verify database.
Of course your mileage may vary. Nobody wants to see things like
nfs/nis/etc. go away. Just if they aren't desired initially.

../C