yum roll back option?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 07:07:08 UTC 2007

On 1/12/07, Jerry Williams <jwilliam at xmission.com> wrote:
> I was wondering about a way to recover back to a previous working system.
> The yum updates that I installed today broke my 3c590 network card.
> I can look at /var/log/yum.log and see what was installed, but I am not sure
> what versions I had before that.
> I ended up swapping the network card with a 3c905 card and it works okay.
> The only thing I can think to do is do a rpm -qa >rpm.txt before I run yum
> and then one after so I can do a diff on the files and know what the
> previous version was.

Have you been grepping through your archive or rpmpkgs logs?  The yum
log is not necessarily sufficient for all admin actions. I can't speak
for you but in my own experience I can't always do everything I need
to do via yum and I have to resort to using rpm directly on occasion
to include things like non-distributable content.

/etc/cron.daily/rpm  is already present and it should be running on
your servers and provides a nightly log of the installed package set.
If you look at the previous day's rpmpkg log wouldn't that give you
the information you need?

-jef