plans for long term support releases?

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Thu Jan 18 18:17:31 UTC 2007

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 08:38:05 +0100,
>   Ola Thoresen <redhat at olen.net> wrote:
>> The point is that everyone who has used linux since before the switch to
>> utf8 has lots of files in latin-1 (for instance) encoding.  Filesystems
>> with filenames with latin-1 characters (not only ascii), we have old
>> servers with OSes that does not use utf8 that we need to connect to and
>> so on.
>
> I don't believe that. This may affect some users, but it is hardly everyone.
> Most US users are going to just be using the ASCII subset of Latin 1. They
> may have a few saved email messages with some nonascii characters, but those
> will probably be saved in mail folders where the proper encoding is also
> saved. I wouldn't expect nonASCII characters in filenames or most text files.

Sorry for using the word "everyone".  What I ment was "everyone around
here" - in Norway.  The people _I_ usually talk to and have to help with
upgrades and new installations.

For them, it is either a long and "dangerous" job of converting files
and filesystems and resetting passwords, or one simple change in
/etc/syconfig/i18n
Guess what they chose 90% of the time, and guess what they then tell
everyone they talk to about this to do to "fix" it...

I am just now running a "convmv -f latin1 -t utf-8 -r --notest *" on a
150 GB partition for a friend of mine.  I think I'll make a writeup on
how to do this conversion, so maybe more people will actually do it.

Rgds.

--