CNR on Fedora?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 23 18:26:08 UTC 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> I just got this in my email:
>
> http://www.linspire.com/linspire_letter_archives.php?id=38
>
> So Linspire is planning to port CNR to Fedora, Debian, SuSE and Ubuntu?
>
> Have they actually talked to anyone in Fedora about this yet?
>
> Doesn't really say what this entails, if its just a fancy front end to
> our existing repos and yum, that would be pretty sweet and possibly save
> us some trouble.
>
> If they're usurping our packages and repos, then we have a problem...
>
> (I'm about 500 messages behind so ignore me if this is a repost...)

After looking at the FAQ and screenshots on the site it doesnt appear
they really need to collaborate beyond using the Fedora repositories+
some proprietary packages on their own, add some metadata on top and
present a good web/client interface. Why is that a problem for us? If we
want to we can build add such (optional) metadata ourselves to the the
repomd and present such a interface too. The CNR has also been under a
Free software license for a while.

Rahul