Virtualization things.

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 10:43:34 UTC 2007

Otto Rey wrote:
> - Is somebody working on Virtualization (KVM + QEMU) Performance?
 > Maybe Upstream? Some time ago kqemu (qemu accelerator) was released
 > under GPL 2 license. Any plans to include in fedora? Or it is
 > already included/merged under qemu name?

I can't find anything about kqemu & its status w.r.t. the upstream Linux
kernel.

KVM is in the upstream & Fedora kernels, and uses QEMU code to do device
emulation.  Of course, that requires that your hardware supports
virtualization, but that will become increasingly common in the next
year or two.  For performance issues with KVM you should ask upstream
(eg. on kvm-devel mailing list,
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/kvm-devel).

> - It is posible to include VirtualBox OSE (Open Source Edition
 > - GPL v2) in Fedora repo's? Any problem with Legal Stuff?

VirtualBox is based on QEMU, right?  Can you tell us what features it
has that makes it distinctive?  (I mean in the free version, not
interested in proprietary features).

There's a project to abstract away the differences between
virtualisation technologies so that, for example, the same command line
and graphical tools can be used to manage Xen, QEMU, KVM (so far, others
coming later).

Website: http://libvirt.org/